New Here? Read The Story behind the Box

Saturday, June 25, 2011

My Miss American Pie

Cherry week continues around here...


I sort of felt like if I didn't make a cherry pie, I would have to be considered unAmerican.



After the kids went to bed, my husband and I enjoyed a quite couple of hours in the kitchen. He was in charge of the crust, and I did the filling. Then we put it all together, popped it in the oven, and enjoyed a little toast while we cleaned up every blessed bowl, measuring cup, bit of counter space, and utensil we own.

aren't we cute with our his and hers computers open to our recipes?

Cherry pie just looks so very homey and classic. It really isn't hard to make at all. Just a few ingredients, a short time at the stove, and then you get to sit back and smell the delicious aromas of the buttery crust and sweet cherries baking in the oven.



I added a teeny bit of almond extract to my pie, to give it just a little more depth of flavor. You certainly don't need to do this. Fresh cherries have so much sweet juicy flavor that they stand alone quite nicely.


Cherry Pie

About 5 cups of cherries, rinsed and pitted
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon almond extract

Combine all ingredients, and bring to a boil. When you start, it will look like cherries in milky white liquid. As it comes to a boil it will magically turn into cherries in thick pink liquid. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. By the time you are done, it will be deep red, beautiful cherry pie filling.



Let it cool a bit before filling the pie crust.


I am sure you have your own recipe for pie crust? If not, I believe there is a recipe in every cookbook and baking website ever created. If you want, I can give you mine, but I don't think it is very different than anything else out there. Of course, you can also buy a refrigerated pie crust that's already rolled out for you. It sure makes the whole project quicker and simpler! Go ahead do what works for you. I certainly won't judge you.

Roll out the bottom pie crust, and lay it in your pan. Fill with cherry mixture. Cut the top pie crust into 1/2 inch strips.

Lay 5-6 strips across the pie.




Fold back every other one, and lay a cross piece. Fold the original pieces back down, and repeat with the skipped slats from before.


Continue like this until the crust is complete. Pinch off any bits that are hanging over the edge, and flute the crust.

Cover the edges of the pie in tin foil and bake at 425 degrees for 35-45 minutes (removing the foil for the last 10 minutes or so, so the crust can brown). When the crust is golden brown, it's done!