New Here? Read The Story behind the Box

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

bacon-wrapped green bean bundles

So, after all that meatlessness yesterday, it's time to let the pendulum swing the other way.

And what is the meat of all meats?

Bacon.

I love how bacon is suddenly becoming a trend, what with bacon doughnuts, bacon muffins, bacon-wrapped .... you name it, and someone has wrapped bacon around it and sold it.

I remember going to Tijuana at age 18 legal drinking age in Mexico and seeing the street vendors there selling hot dogs wrapped in bacon. It smelled like a little bit of heaven, but there was no chance I was ever going to risk dying of some sort of food bacteria over a hot dog. Not even after a few couple Pacificos.

Ahem. Where were we?  Ah yes, bacon. Bacon in things and bacon around things. I can't think of a way to do anything wrong with bacon.

I have green beans coming out of my ears, and so I needed to find a new and fun way to make them tasty and fresh. Enter bacon. As a bonus, this is one recipe that all of my kids ate. Hooray!

Take the green beans (which I find to be delicious already), add bacon (which makes everything better) and then glaze it all with garlic and brown sugar (come to mama).

Have I died? Is this heaven? I think I like it here. It smells so good. And tastes... heavenly. But why am I still washing my own dishes?



Bacon-Wrapped Green Bean Bundles
This recipe is from the super-cute blog How Sweet It Is. Check her out! You won't be disappointed.

About 1 pound fresh green beans
1 pound bacon
2 tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Spray the bottom of a baking pan with cooking spray, and preheat the oven to 400.

Rinse and trim the ends of the green beans.

Depending on how thick your beans are, gather 5-7 together, and wrap is a slice of bacon. Place into the baking dish. Continue until you have used up all of the green beans and all of the bacon, leaving a little space between the bundles.

In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the butter, brown sugar, and garlic until melted.

Brush this over the bundles, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Cover with tin foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 20 minutes or so, until the bacon is crispy and brown.