New Here? Read The Story behind the Box

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Thai-ish Shish Kebabs


One of the (many many) great things about Abundant Harvest Organics is that at any time I can purchase "add-ons." There are items ranging form nuts to eggs to beef to extra fruits and veggies. They are all local and organic, and the animal products are all free-range and grass fed.



This week, we decided to try some of the chicken. After meeting some of the chickens at Vernon Peterson's farm a couple of weeks ago, and seeing what great little chicken-lives they lead, I felt a need to support this kind of humane, organic, sustainable farming.

Get in ma' belly!

I made these kebabs with the chicken, onions, and bell peppers that I picked up on Saturday. As I rooted around int he fridge getting out the veggies, I grabbed a few things to make a marinade too. I am calling it Thai-ish, because I used the same kinds of things that I use when I follow Thai recipes. However, I am not a single ounce Thai. I'm also not in Thailand, so I don't think it's fair for me claim Thai-ness outright. They're Thai-like. Plus, how fun is it to say it out loud? Thai-ish Shish Kebabs.



Absolutely delicious Thai-ish Shish Kebabs
Prepare the marinade in the morning or the night before. Let the chicken marinate until you are ready to cook. 

1 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup Thai chile sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 Tablespoons minced garlic
2 chicken breasts
3 bell peppers
1 red onion

Combine the peanut butter, chile sauce, lemon juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, and garlic. Add the chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces and let it marinate all day or overnight.

When you are ready to cook, turn on the grill. Chop the onion and bell peppers into bite-sized squares.

Thread the chicken and vegetables onto metal or wood skewers, and grill just until the chicken is cooked through. If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for about 20 minutes before loading them up. This will keep them from burning on the grill.

Serve hot with a side of rice or quinoa.