New Here? Read The Story behind the Box

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Apple Sauce. And Jesus.

In my Abundant Harvest box this week, I got this big beautiful bunch of green apples.

The kids were so excited to see apples that they bit right into them... and then puckered up their little faces. They're pretty tart, as it turns out.


I decided to make applesauce out of them... 

... but before I give you the recipe, I need to tell you that Jesus was in my kitchen.

You know how some people see Jesus in different objects? And then they are born again and become religious and saved? 

For example, Jesus has been seen in a tree:


 Or a KitKat bar:

One person even saw Jesus in the dregs of his beer. Well, probably lots of people have seen Jesus in the dregs of their beer, but one person still had enough sense left in him to photograph it:


And, of course, if you are a fan of Glee, you will remember the grilled Jesus:


Remember that bowl of apples I showed at the beginning? I emptied it and peeled the apples, and then inverted the empty bowl into my dishwasher. And. There. Was. Jesus.

I'm warning you, this is not for the faint of heart. Jesus is there (at least I think it's him). But he is NOT happy.

scroll down if you are stout hearted enough to view sad apple bowl Jesus. Also scroll down if you want to get past this nonsense and make apple sauce.




































I warned you. Not happy.

At any rate, after doing penance and atoning and a couple of other things, I made the applesauce.

And here is how:

Peel your apples and chop them into little chunks.

Put them all in a pot and fill with just enough water to almost cover them. Add some sugar. Not too much (maybe a couple of tablespoons?). You can always add more later, so you can decide just how sweet you need it to be. You can also add a little cinnamon if that's your thing.



Let is all simmer for a long long long time. This pot simmered for about an hour. Stir it every so often. When you can see that the apples are all turning to mush, you are done! You can stop while it is a little chunky if you'd like, or you can keep going until it is pretty smooth. Add some more sugar if you want, and voila! Apple Sauce!


We go through apple sauce pretty quickly around here, so I didn't bother sealing and preserving the jars. They won't stay in the fridge long enough to warrant it. But if you wanted to, you could follow these instructions.