New Here? Read The Story behind the Box

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Vegas, baby

I went to Las Vegas for the weekend. I was there with a group of somewhere between 20 and 25 people.  It was a crazy, fun time. There was more than a little imbibing, more than a little dancing, more than a little skin showing.

I pretty much abandoned the usual roles I have... scheduler, taxi service, alarm clock, responsible adult, jiminy cricket to three little people.

I pretty much abandoned my priorities. No thought to conservation, budget, organic living, environment, health. As a matter of fact, I think those may be the only things that are more or less taboo in Vegas.

When they say "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas," I think they are referring to my energy and rest. Those certainly didn't come back with me.

And then, I got back home and I halted in my tracks with typical mom-ness.

This week: 1 day of working (for actual money) at my son's preschool, 1 day of attending the preschool field trip, 1 day of volunteering in my other son's first grade play rehearsal, 1 day of volunteering at the preschool running "old fashioned day", and 1 day of helping my fourth-grade daughter's class experience the gold rush. Add to that: running a cub-scout meeting at our house, a pizza party for t-ball, hair cut appointments, an orchestra performance, kung fu classes, piano lessons, a girl scout meeting, and a kung fu demonstration at the opening of Kung Fu Panda. Subtract: one husband who works late almost every night this week. (He works at a high school, and if you think they aren't busy this time of year...)

I am not sure I will find my kitchen this week, let alone produce anything worth sharing with all of you. It will probably be salads for dinner, salads for lunch, and cheerios for breakfast.  That's if we're lucky.

If you don't hear from me for a few days around here, I have either fallen into an exhaustion-related coma, or run away and become a showgirl.