New Here? Read The Story behind the Box

Monday, May 2, 2011

summertime and the livin's easy

Wednesdays are quickly becoming my favorite day of the week. It is the one day that all three kids go to school and I don't work. It is also the one day that we have no classes, lessons, practices, or games. I get the majority of my cooking done on Wednesdays.

This week was no different. I spent the morning in the kitchen, getting a few things ready for the week ahead. Then, I spend the afternoon in the backyard, barbecuing and playing catch with the the kids.


Grilled Ribs on a bed of grilled greens:

Use your favorite rib recipe, or buy your ribs precooked. (Don't tell anyone I used the precooked ribs this time. I just couldn't do it all today, okay?)

Place them on the grill to cook.

While these begin grilling, prepare your greens:

No, not those greens. That's just the ivy that grows behind my barbecue. These greens:

I can see where you would make the mistake, though. These greens are a mixture of collard greens, beet greens, and who knows what else (thanks to the mix that AHOrganics provided my this week).

To prepare them, simply toss them with a little bit of olive oil and some sea salt.

When the ribs only have a couple of minutes to go, it's time to grill the greens. Toss them into a grilling basket, and keep stirring/tossing until they are all wilty.


Place the greens onto a platter, and place the ribs on top. All of the sauce and drippings from the ribs will soak down into the greens, making them absolutely delicious! That right there is the taste of summer.