New Here? Read The Story behind the Box

Friday, April 29, 2011

cauliflower

Cauliflower, cauliflower. What can I say about it? It's just so ... plain. And big. Not big in a needing-to-shop-in-the-husky-department kind of big, but bountiful big.  A head of cauliflower quickly goes from being a side dish, into being a land-grubbing squatter on my dinner plate real estate. There is nothing wrong with it being there, but it isn't bringing much to the party, either.

Regardless of how it tastes and how much my kids will moan and groan about it, the reality is that this week, I got a big huge head of cauliflower in my CSA box. It's quite lovely, as cauliflowers go. Pristine and perfectly round, large and white.



So, cauliflower I will eat.  And then eat some more. And follow that with a cauliflower chaser.

I wanted to try something new... if only so I can tell the kids "You have never had this before. At least try it."

Here is how it went:

Cut the cauliflower into florets and spread out on a baking sheet.  Sprinkle on three cloves of chopped garlic, and about 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Drizzle olive oil over it all, making sure that each piece is oiled, but not drowning in oil. Sprinkle on salt and pepper to taste.


Roast in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes. When it is turning golden brown, remove it from the oven. While it is still hot, sprinkle about 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese over it all. Enjoy!