New Here? Read The Story behind the Box

Monday, April 11, 2011

The over-tweny-one edition

As I was baking, roasting, simmering, and juicing lemons this week, I decided to play a little game. It's like when you used to watch Strange Brew and drink every time they said "Eh." But in my game, I had a drink every time I cooked with a lemon.

And here are the results:

Lemon Drop (Ina Garten's recipe)
I believe this is one of the trendiest chick drinks right now, and for a good reason. It is yummy... like grown-up lemonade. Very grown up. These babies are strong!
Pour a cup of very cold vodka, 1/4 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice, and 1/4 cup sugar into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well, strain into a martini glass, and garnish with a slice of lemon. 



Lemon Margarita

I love love love margaritas. So, I decided to take this opportunity to see what would happen if I used lemon juice instead of lime juice to make my standard drink. It was a little tarter, but that is just fine with me.

Rub the rim of the glass with a slice of lemon, and dip into salt. Place 1 1/2 ounces lemon juice, 1 1/2 ounces good tequila, and 1 ounce triple sec into a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well, and strain into a glass filled with ice cubes.






Whiskey Sour (Emeril Lagasse's recipe)
I think I found my new standard drink for ordering at a bar! I hate ordering something that sounds too girlie, but honestly, I like things that taste pretty girlie. Nothing too strong, nothing too bitter. Here it is: 
In an old-fashioned glass with crushed ice, combine 4 ounces sour mix (see below) with 1 1/2 ounces whiskey. Add a cherry and enjoy!
Sour mix: 1 ounce lemon juice, 1 ounce sugar, 2 ounces water. Combine the lemon juice and sugar; add the water.  




Vodka-balsmic-lemonade
I have to admit, I was a little nervous about trying this one. But now that I have tried it, I foresee a summer filled with these guys.  One of its best features is the fact that you can easily make a whole pitcher -- or more -- of this lovely concoction, and that makes it great for any time you have some friends over. Once your guests arrive, there is nothing to do but pour.

one glass:
4 ounces lemonade
1 ounce vodka
1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar

a pitcher:
4 cups lemonade
1 cup vodka
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar