New Here? Read The Story behind the Box

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Momofuku's Butter Cake Bars

Are you on Pinterest? I love it. If you are, follow me and I'll follow you.

I love the happy constructive nature of Pinterest, and I have gotten all kinds of great ideas from how to store my boots in my closet to party decorations to new recipes for cauliflower.

One thing that makes me giggle, though, is the fine balance between people pinning things like this:

I stole this photo from Pinterest, and I don't know how to give credit. So sorry!  

 and the people pinning things like this:

Stole this one too. Forgive me?

I especially love when it's the same person. Back and forth, back and forth.... I should get out and run...Oh! Dessert! Yummy!!! ... Really I need to work out more.... Mmmmmm. THAT looks good!

As for me, rather than pinning reminders to exercise and stick with it and get moving and remember my goals, I just try to steer clear of.... exercise. It's fabulous. I have yet to quit that routine. no goal, no plan, no quitting, no guilt! 

And I DO pin lots of sweets and yummy foods. I figure that anyone who eats an entire box of vegetables every week can eat all the dessert she wants. I have earned it.

Pinterest actually does give me lots of ideas and recipes for my CSA veggies. I have had many happy, delicious, nutritious veggie-packed meals inspired by Pinterest. It also happens to give me recipes for things like this...


This is Momofuku's Butter Cake Bar. They are very oozy and gooey, and not at all something you can eat, and look dainty, at the same time. The bottom layer is a thick chewy base make with a yellow cake mix and that is topped off with the sweetest, richest, drippiest, cream cheese-and-vanilla layer you can ever imagine.

We took these to the Superbowl... and although they are a big gooey mess that leaves you licking your fingers, no one seemed to mind after a margarita or two.

They are super simple to make since they use a box of cake mix and almost everything else comes pre-measured (one block cream cheese, one box powdered sugar, one stick of butter). I think I might try using a cake recipe instead of a box of cake mix next time; I'll let you know how that works out. Being as it has that much butter, sugar, and cream cheese, its a good thing that just a tiny little square leaves you satisfied. Which means the rest of the pan should be shared. With me.

Momofuku's Butter Cake Bars

one box yellow cake mix
4 ounces butter, melted
3 eggs
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 pound powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350, and line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper.

To make the bottom layer, mix together the cake mix, butter, and 1 egg. Pat this evenly into the bottom of the pan.

To make the layer of heaven, cream together the cream cheese, 2 eggs, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Spread this evenly over the bottom layer.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown around the edges.

Cool completely before serving. I stuck them in the freezer for an hour before I cut them.  These pictures were taken just after cutting, and before the top layer started flowing onto the plate. I recommend serving with a spoon!