New Here? Read The Story behind the Box

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Day five... putting the crown on it

I am working on a week five days of no spending, using up the produce that lingers here, and cleaning out the fridge and pantry...


We did it. We made it to the end of the fifth day! 


There are two things this week that make me feel like I am indeed on the right track with our new healthy living. Even though we suffer dinner table wars. Even though I don't always feel like cooking, or like cooking vegetables. Even though I don't even recognize some of the vegetables.


The first was that, as we sat down to breakfast one morning, my youngest son said, "Wait! Don't we need something healthy to go with this? I'll get applesauce." It is sinking in!!!


The second is the realization that not a single one of the kids asked if we could go out for fast food at all this week. They knew that while Dad was gone, meals would be more casual and relaxed. They knew that we wouldn't necessarily be sitting down together at the table every night. (But they didn't know I was on a no-spending mission.) And it didn't even occur to them to want fast food. Or they just knew it wouldn't fly. Either way, I'll take it. We have gotten completely out of the habit of "grabbing something on our way."


The big bummer of today was that I had a dentist appointment, to get a crown. I knew I had the appointment, and I knew that I had scheduled a babysitter. I just didn't put two and two together to realize that I would then have to pay the babysitter. Duh. So there went $20 more.


Once I spent the $20, I felt like just quitting my week a couple of hours early, and heading to a restaurant for dinner. So when the kids asked what was for dinner, I said, "Well, I'm not sure. We don't have a ton of food in the house right now." My daughter answered, "I'll cook scrambled eggs and toast!" She saved the day.


I spent a total of $30 this week...($10 on variety show tickets at the kids' school and $20 on a babysitter). It wasn't perfect, but I'll take it.


Tomorrow is going to be a full day of restocking this joint. I'm looking forward to it.