New Here? Read The Story behind the Box

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Loser, loser, chicken dinner

I'll admit, I was a little bit afraid of Brussels sprouts. All I knew about them is that they're green and no one likes them. They are the quintessential vegetable that everyone was forced to eat as a child and therefore will never eat again even with a gun to their head, even if it would cure cancer, even though children are starving. . .

You know where this is going, right? I got Brussels sprouts in the box and now I am forced to cook them. Then, I have to eat them and even pretend I like them as the good, healthy, adventuresome mother and role model that I am.

But here's the kicker. I found a recipe, I cooked the cute litle baby-doll sized cabbages, and I like them! They are mild, a little sweet, and tender. (not unlike yours truly, come to think of it). I would LOVE to see them in future boxes! Plus, they are just so cute. What's not to like?

Except. There's always an exception, isn't there?


My son? The one who cried, begged, and whined about trying the teeniest little piece of bell pepper? Well, apparently that was just a warmup. Tonight. was. miserable. He cried. And cried some more. And followed that up with some crying. At one point, he even somehow managed to fall off the chair, knock a plate down onto himself ... And cry some more.

Did I mention yet that all he had to eat was one-fourth of one brussels sprout? That is exactly one bite. and that one little bite just so happened to be on a plate with some of his very favorite foods... Roast chicken, mashed potatoes, and gravy.

Well, it came to be time for him to either eat it or miss his piano lesson. He cut it in half. He looked at it and hated it some more. He ate half. Hip hip hooray!! Right? Wrong. The final half of a quarter of a cute little Brussels sprout... had him so worked up that he chewed and chewed and gagged and spit it out.

Score one for the kid. He won that round.

In happier news, the other boy said it was fine and the girl said it was better than broccoli, which is one of her favorite veggies.



Here is the recipe... And it is very very yummy! I swear!

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

3 cups Brussels sprouts, quartered and stems cut off
1/4 cup oil, divided
Salt and pepper
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons sunflower kernels
1/2 cup diced red onion
4 T apple cider vinegar

Toss the Brussels sprouts with 2 tablespoons oil and salt and pepper to taste. Roast in a roasting pan in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool.

In a large bowl, mix sprouts, cheese, sunflower kernels and onion.

Mix vinegar and remaining oil in a separate bowl, add salt and pepper if desired, and toss dressing with the sprout mixture.